Sunday, August 13, 2006

Mt. Jackson #5











Accompanied by the hyperactive Schnauzer duo of Ralph and Duncan, Ruby and I set out to conquer Jackson! What a fabulous day. With the exception that Ralph and Duncan took far too many risks for their owners to be comfortable with, the dogs all enjoyed the scenic hike. Sean and Dawna were great company as we headed up hill and communicated over walky-talkies. (“CCCCCCCHHH! Over!") At the Webster Cliff junction Ralph and Duncan turned around. This was after many attempts by Ralph to boulder–dive onto unprotected wildreness. Hence, his short lived career as a trail dog. Thankfully, many calories were burned along the way. The previous night was held in much gluttonous revelry with me drinking and eating my way through a huge fajita and about 5 Sam Adams Summer Ale at my fave North Conway pit stop, The Moat. The Moat is a great place to eat and drink, and I visit them every time I stay in town. There’s only one place to stay in North Conway – The Intervale. A cheap motel that accepts dogs.
Though I was really looking forward to having Ruby take her summit pose with the two schnauzers, we still managed to have a great day looping over Webster Cliff and then up over to Jackson. There is one tricky pass heading down Jackson and Ruby had difficulty navigating. A British woman, carrying her little corgi dog, realized the dog was in trouble and began coaxing her down through the steep crevice. Her accent further aggravated the situation and I ended up lifting the dog up and over this challenging rock ledge. All in all, a lovely day on this easy mountain. But I only wish that Mt Webster would count for something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home