Monday, June 23, 2008




#37 Carrigain- June 22, 2008






How about a dose of more extreme weather? The crazy storms on Carrigain were more than I care for, but at least we made it to another peak, number 37 for Ruby. Met up with Nancy and Chuck-thank goodness- who saved my ass from the get-go. Started this hike off reluctantly with threatening storms , but decided to go for it. Could not locate the first brook crossing- and in searching for it found myself head over heels in the brook. So, went back to the car to put on new dry shoes and socks. That's when I hooked up with Nancy and Chuck and hiked with them most of the day. We lucked out for most of this hike- reaching the fire tower after ditching our packs just below the summit. Thunder boomed in the west and lightening flashed. We began to pick up the pace. Then, before I knew it, black clouds hovered above and flashes of lightning lit up the dark sky. I nearly crapped my pants - The rain came down hard. Ruby and I ran full force as fast as we could down the mountain for the last 3 miles. At the very last brook crossing- I once again fell into the brook, but was so soaking wet it didn't matter. After crashing from an adrenaline induced high similar to a crack experience, I drove to the Notch and changed into dry clothes at the Willey House. Get me off this god forsaken mountain, is all I could think. I have never had a pleasant time on Carrigain. I heard the views are nice, but all I've ever seen is a bunch of dangerous thunder clouds. Thanks Nancy and Chuck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home